Wednesday, September 18, 2013

ARE YOU SERIOUS GOD?


   Before you read what I have to say I suggest you go and read the entry by Liz Curtis Higgs called "Bad Girls of the Bible: Lot's Wife.
http://www.lizcurtishiggs.com/2013/09/bad-girls-of-the-bible-lots-wife/

    She asked question that really made me pause and think.....here it is.
   
"What would be the hardest person, place, or thing for you to walk away from? If God asked you to do so, for your own good, how would you respond?"

   As I thought about this question I found myself saying...."I am not sure I want to write that". So I did quite a few things around the house to think it out.

  My husband is on disability and we have had a long, winding and steep path to where we are now. There were years of not knowing what we were dealing with and that was met by our frustration, pain and instability.
 
 I sure an not going to share that whole story....it would be a book but I will share my response to this question. We ended up with just enough to purchase 8+ acres of land with a single mobile home that had to be completely gutted. That was not a problem because my husbands job was maintenance supervisor in gated communities locally and in Atlanta. A hoarder lived here and we had a mess throwing away piles of stuff....let alone it was a location to see meth. It was hard work with encounters from addicts that were not so pleasant.

   The outside cleaned area was rugged but now beautiful. My husband added a greenhouse and aquaponics.
We have a huge tank filled with about 200 tilapia that are ready for harvest. Most of the land is hardwoods and the back boundary is a cold and clear spring fed steam. It is beautiful! A plus to all of this is it was once a home to Creek/Cherokee Native Americans. I have Native American blood and I am so very proud of that!

 What I felt the Lord asked me today is this.....Could you give up the security you feel in having a home free and clear of debt? I argued with Him a bit and it went like this....
  Are you serious Lord?
   Look I settled for much less that I thought I wanted in a dwelling and finally I am content and thankful...
     Where would we go?
         We love this rural life after life in the city...you sure would not send us back there would you?
             I am making and selling jams,jellies,condiments from what we grow and from neighbors....we need
             this income.
               I always asked you to allow me to live where I could learn from nature and this is the answer to
               that request.
   Quiet....it seemed like there was not an answer. Than a hymn came to my mind and I fell into my Heavenly Father's arms....It was this song. "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go". This song has real meaning to me since high school at Kraybill's Mennonite School. This is the refrain.
     " I’ll go where You want me to go, dear Lord,
       O’er mountain, or plain, or sea;
       I’ll say what You want me to say, dear Lord,
       I’ll be what You want me to be."
  You can see all the lyrics here:
http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/g/igowhere.htm

   Yes, this place gives us security, is our bit of heaven on earth, worked by our hands and slowly getting where we want it, is where I am leaning lessons in nature that apply to my spiritual growth, and is home. But I can say now (four hours after I read the question) "God,  you brought us here and if you want us to move on than I will roll up my sleeves for another adventure". And I am at peace!

   How will you respond to the question Liz Curtis Higgs asked?

No comments: