Friday, August 15, 2008

JOURNAL JARS TELL THE STORY



TREES
by: Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918)


THINK that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
**********************************
This was my fathers favorite poem but I just found that out. This is where the "Journal Jar" comes into play. Several years ago I gave my parents a journal jar for part of their Christmas gift and along with that a journal to write down the answers. I had mom write on the right hand page and dad the other. They used scotch tape to tape the one they pulled each day on the top of Dad's page. I told them to take their time and now I have it. One of the questions was "What is your favorite poem? Please write it here." Mom said dad wrote his from memory.
As I read the pages I learned so many new things about mom and dad and their memories, favorite things and favorite people. I think I really gave this gift to myself and my children and they will pass it on. Dad is gone but I have this precious journal in his handwriting I encourage each of you to do this so the legacy of your parents will be passed on. I found the ones that seemed to fit them.
LDS sites are great for these. I respect the way they make history alive to their kids and keep passing it on from generation to generation.
Here are some sites to get prompts:

5 comments:

Lady Dorothy said...

What a wonderful idea!

Civilla said...

That is such a beautiful idea!! I loved the poem. I had forgotten about it! Have you ever heard the poem "The House With Nobody In It" by (I think) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow? Loved your blog.

Civilla said...

Thank you for posting on my blog. You made good comments. I'm glad that I didn't offend. I was just curious as to why non-Amish women were dressing in plain dress, and figured it was because we all (me, too) read those great Beverly Lewis books. I felt the draw to dressing like that, too, and wondered if I should. We are all looking for that holiness and purity, which is a good motivation, but maybe we are looking in the wrong places. Thanks again.

Purpleflowerpatch said...

Donna-love, I have given your blogs awards...they are full of honest nourishment for the soul!
See my blog for details.
Love you sweetie!!

Homespun Simplicity said...

I am so glad you did this, and have these memories written down by your mom and dad. How special...and what a treasure! Thank you for sharing the websites.
Karen