Friday, July 4, 2008

HAPPY FOURTH

Happy Fourth of July…It is a beautiful day here in Atlanta, Ga.
There is a soft breeze and the French doors are open to our balcony. John’s plants are so beautiful and green and this week we were given 3 pots of herbs. The gentleman will be traveling for a month and ask John if I would like them. So now I have several kinds of mint, chives, fresh basil (which I love), parsley, cilantro and several other wonderful things.
No. 8 … I am thankful for fresh herbs and for people that do not throw away what another can use. We are a wasteful nation and I am trying so hard to make full use of all I have.


No. 9…Talking about what people throw away…look at these 2 cabinets. I see my stitching stuff finding a home in these. They have hardly been used. I did not take a picture of the beautiful counter spice rack full of fresh herbs and spices that someone no longer cared for. I lost mind with the mold mess several years ago and this is just a wonderful blessing!

No 10 is the book you see on top of the cabinets. I have wanted this cookbook for so long but $30.00 was way too high for me. I love Jan Karon’s series about Mitford. The characters are so real and what they cook always seemed to go along with their personalities. Last week John took me to Border’s and on a one-day sale for that store was a $ 3.00 table and there was one of these cookbooks. You can rest assured I picked it up and so now it belongs to my very small cookbook collection. I had over 100 cookbooks before the mold gobbled them up and now I have close to 15. To be honest I get a lot of recipes off the net because I can look at 3 and come up with ideas from all of them and create one we will like. I am thankful for authors that bring alive the characters they write about and for the cooks that publish their creations. Both take us on an adventure. I have always looked at cooking as a adventure and love to cook.
http://www.amazon.com/Karons-Mitford-Cookbook-Kitchen-Reader/dp/0670032395


No. 11 is our country. I grew up Mennonite and church and state never met. Mennonites are peace loving folks and always against war. When I was a teen going into the armed forces was a test of membership. I had a dear friend that went to Viet Nam when we graduated in 1966 and he was no longer a member of his church and I was ashamed of the church in general. I always was the rebel in the group that questioned things we were taught. We did not pledge our allegiance to the flag either and I was in 11Th grade and at a local football game with our neighbor girl and when she stood up to Pledge the Allegiance to the flag I did for the first time. I had tears streaming down my face because I knew it was the right thing to do and because I had wanted to do it for the longest time. I will never forget that night and to this day it brings tears when I salute the flag with pride. I did get in trouble for doing it that night because a busy body told my parents.

I am not proud of all we do in America but I am so grateful for the freedoms we have. I am thankful we live in a democracy. I vote with pride (to this day my parents have never voted). I do not really like to debate politics but I do read all about each candidate and look at their voting record. That makes me a Independent…gasp…I am glad I have the choice to vote how I feel the Lord leading me. But far more important than voting is our mandate to pray for our leaders.
1 Timothy 2:1-2 (Amplified Bible)
1.FIRST OF all, then, I admonish and urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be offered on behalf of all men,
2.For kings and all who are in positions of authority or high responsibility, that [outwardly] we may pass a quiet and undisturbed life [and inwardly] a peaceable one in all godliness and reverence and seriousness in every way.

No. 12… I was about to post this when we received a call that our son and his girlfriend were coming up to see us. Since it was her birthday this past week and they have been together for over 2 years and most of all that she has been a strong influence on our son to clean his act up…we decided to make it special. They love our Mellow Mushroom and we took them there and than to Borders Books to spoil her a bit more. I sent a grocery bag full of food home for them, some new clothes someone had thrown away that were very expensive and the leftover food from Mellow Mushroom. They just left very happy with their treasures. It is good to see them since they live 1 and ½ hours south of here.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Holly Williams Urbach said...

Donna,

You are such an example to the rest of us. Like you I do not like to see perfectly good things wasted and I try to be thankful in everything-even in the hard and tough things. Keep sharing!

Holly

deborah said...

Donna..

What great blessings! I also hate to see things go to waste. I'm quick to give away anything I have that I know I won't use. Let me know when you need more things.. I'm sure I have some here I can send you! ;) I need to begin thinning things out again, in hopes that we move this year. It's been a long year of waiting to move, but I hope that we will spend the holidays this year in our hometown.

Donna-Jean said...

Your blog inspires me, Donna. Keep up the good work! Beautiful writing and pictures.