Monday, July 21, 2008

CARDINALS AND RAMBLINGS

It is a very hot beginning to a hot Atlanta day…

It has been a busy week. All week I was going to update the blog but things happened. John worked at a sister property all week and so Sparky and I had the apartment to ourselves. One great thing was for the first since my surgery I walked him and did fine.
My gait walking is so much better and I walk much faster. The massages are really helping and each week I gain a bit more range of motion. That is an answer to prayer.

On Friday Sparky and I went with him to work. Since we had lived in that area I wanted to do a bit of shopping in that area. There was a furnished apartment empty and we had all the comforts of home. I did get a few craft items, had lunch with John and my precious friend Kim (his co-worker there) and as we were eating out came a capped tooth. My dentist is 5 minutes away and they had a slot at four and cemented it back. We were glad I had gone along or that tooth would have been out all weekend.

In my gratitude list we will add:
13. I am walking so much better and have better range of motion. I am thankful for Sara who does my massages.

14. My dentist. They sure do have a gift of making our mouths more comfortable and our smile great.

15. About a month ago I noticed a Cardinal would come and sit on the rail of our balcony and sing as if she was asking for something. I got some birdseed and placed it in a crystal dish on the café table on the balcony. Sure enough she found it and so she has visited me many times a day. Bless her heart…. she is molting and is rather unattractive with 2 feathers sticking straight up on the top of her head. I felt she was feeding babies because she filled her beak with seed and fly away. That is after she had her fill. This morning I heard not a song but a rather nervous sound coming from her and sure enough soon a young Cardinal was encouraged to come to the dish. The mother used her wing to flap on the young one’s head as if to say, “Eat”. After about 3 times the young one did that and than the mother sang. It was a tender moment to watch. It was like a time of teaching her baby and than praising her for learning. Cardinal moms are not much different than we human mothers are. I am sure grateful for my gift of nature in the middle of a city!

I really enjoy watching “The View”. I sure do not agree with a lot but the dialogue they have really make me think, pray and dig into facts. I have a passion for foster care. I have had 23 in my home over the years and I loved each one as if the were mine. Some stayed for a while and some were with us until a court date. I am adopted and we have adopted. Now what does this have to do with the view? Woopie got to talking about foster care and said that in the US everyday there are 50,000 children waiting for homes…these are foster kids. That number really struck me hard. I understand why some folks may want to make international adoptions but what happens to these kids in the US? Why are they not cared for? This has always been a puzzle to me.
“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”
James 1:27 (NIV)

“Vindicate the weak and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and destitute. Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked. (Psalm 82:3-4 NASB).”

Tome this is very plain and again is not a suggestion but a command. I am not saying all of us can open our homes to foster care but we sure can support those that do! Most of my foster kids were teen girls that were on a quick path to state school. (Really a lock down institution) People in the church were afraid of these girls. That shocked me. In school they disliked them. I was called to the principal’s office for one of the 15-year-old girls and he had the nerve to tell me in front of her that all foster kids should be shipped to an island and kept there. I was mad! She had come such along way by that time but simply hated algebra and fooled around in that class. She begged our counselor to allow her to quit and get her GID at a community school. He allowed her to and in 6 months she had her diploma and was enrolled in classes for landscaping. One year later she had her own small business. We sure took her diploma back to that principal and he was in shock but did not say he had been wrong. All but one of these young ladies with the exception of one has wonderful families and are doing good. That is thank you enough for me.

I am telling you all this because we need to show love for those that need us. Kids are in danger and every time I see a foster child died I cringe knowing maybe I could have made a difference. There are things we all can do. We are commanded to pray for the fatherless and I believe foster children fall into this. We can mentor those children that need it. Both of these take our time. I tithe my time as I do money. Some of us can give foster parents in our church or community a weekend off and stay with the kids. Or we can open our homes. The time I had with foster teens were the best in spite of all the tears lost in my bedroom. For the time there were in our home they were mine and I know I made a difference in their lives.

I was talking to a young homeless man a week ago as I was walking for my massage. This is his story…. He said after his mother told a judge she didn't want him when he was 13, he lived in 12 foster homes. At 18, he moved to a homeless shelter. Now he is between that shelter and the street. He graduated in the 5% of his high school but when he left foster care he was lost because all of a sudden he was on his own with little help. His goal is to go to college. He proudly showed me his diploma and last grades. You see people rarely hire a person without an address. I have a list of resources for him if I see him again.

Below this is a picture of a little girl and a beautiful young woman. I never got to meet this person. You see that precious child and young woman is my natural mother. She made a hard choice o give me away. The doctor that delivered me told me after my birth she lost it and was in a mental ward for a few months. After that she barely coped with life. My brother and sister told me I was the lucky one to be placed in an orphanage. I am close now to my brother and he gave me these photos. My mom and dad went to that orphanage and chose me as a baby. I am so thankful my natural mother gave me life and did not abort me. I am glad my son’s mother chose life for him and we have been blessed to have him in our lives. This is why I do not believe in abortion. But let me challenge you with this…do you just rant and rave about abortion or do you do something to change a life. Are you praying for children in danger that need a home? Are you giving time to mentor a child in need? Can you help a foster family? Can you open your home to a child from the US that needs you today? I can tell you that you will be blessed beyond messure!






Statistics You Should Be Aware Of:
http://loveourchildrenusa.org/stats.php

2 comments:

Robin in New Jersey said...

Hi Donna,

Great post. I often wonder too about international adoptions...what about all the kids right here in the US who need families.

Lady Dorothy said...

Donna, I know this is a topic very dear to your heart.

As someone who grew up in a home that gave care to over 40 foster children, and who has tried to adopt a very special needs child, and has a daughter in the process of trying to adopt, I can understand where you are coming from.

However, adoption is getting harder and harder. Not because of higher standards, but because of paperwork and red tape. Here in California, we have social workers with over 200 adoptable children in their case load. However, they cannot do justice to that many. So, the files sit in piles. Meanwhile, the children are growing up. And parents are still empty-handed.

It is a sad situation. I also think there are many political reasons for such dire straits, because it is fixable. Very much so.