Saturday, June 14, 2008

GRATITUDE

No matter what you think living in the city there is beauty all around you. I really did not want to move down here but the transfer for my husband was not an option. I decided to treat the move like a adventure or a treasure hunt. It worked and within a week this was home!



This is the view I see everyday from my living room. I really never studied architecture with the exception of Frank Lloyd Wright who I find so fascinating. But moving down in Midtown, Atlanta I soon was drawn to the buildings around our building. Just study it a bit on the daytime and night pictures.




We see this building from the swimming pool and at night it is so beautiful and graceful.
http://www.atlantaarchitecture.info/Building/1449/1180_Peachtree.php

This one is beautiful at night also and it glistens in the sun….
http://www.atlantaarchitecture.info/Building/686/One_Atlantic_Center.php

We have this one directly in the center of the balcony and at night there is magic in the lighting.
http://www.atlantaarchitecture.info/Building/1511/Proscenium.php

This is next to us and when we moved here a year ago it was a Sheraton but the transformation to the “W” has been fun to watch. It draws in stars and famous people.
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3131&fromSearch=11XX&linkbrand=&links=all



I think about the talent that God has given us and I marvel. A child likes to draw and that that grows into drafting and the talent God gave them may turn them into an architect. Another child loved to build with Lego blocks and that turns into interest to be a builder and now we have the above two working to build a beautiful building. To finish you need construction workers that are skilled and crane operators that I sit here and marvel at their talent as I watch them build floor by floor. It takes interior designers to make the inside as beautiful as the outside and than landscapers to add the touch of nature. God is indeed good to us in giving all of us what it takes to fulfill our jobs and passions. I think so often we forget how He has much He has helped us sharpen the abilities we have.
Number 4 in my "One Thousand Gifts" is our talent.

5. I am so grateful for plants and my husband gift to take plants others have thrown away and bring them back to life. Notice I even have some herbs growing in out container garden. We did not buy a single plant here just rescued them.

Look at the courtyard I see every day and how I love to hear that fountain running.
John helps keep it in tip top shape too.
6. Old friends…. Really she was my first babysitter. Lorraine Murphy is the oldest daughter of my favorite schoolteacher at Kraybill’s Mennonite School. This family was a special family and all four kids worked for my dad on our farm. During Asparagus season
They were there at 5:30 AM to pick the three acres. The youngest boy was John and we were close friends through school. Lorraine is a very talented opera singer and I am going to quote the Sarasota Paper telling about her.

“Lorraine Murphy has toured the former Soviet Union,
Poland, Germany, Ireland, and France and has sung on
four tours to Scotland and England. She has concertized
throughout the U.S. and has sung principal opera roles
for the Harrisburg and Lancaster, PA opera companies.
She is a frequent soloist with Key Chorale and Gloria
Musicae. Ms. Murphy will be accompanied by pianist
Lurray Myers. Harpist Bonnie Caplan is very much in
demand in Southwest Florida. She has performed with
such entertainers as Steve Lawrence & Edyie Gorme,
Marvin Hamlisch, Barry Manilow, Roberta Flack,
Manhattan Transfer, Michael Bolton, Johnny Mathis,
Beach Boys, Peter Cetera, Oliva Newton John, and
others.”

I called mom today and Lorraine had called them and and making plans for her to visit them soon. Dad told me they will talk of "the good old days".I am thankful for her talent. It is good to remember precious friends. This lady lives life to the fullest and I know her mom is looking down from Heaven and thankful for the fact she uses her talent.


3 comments:

SPSman said...

Hello cousin Donna,

Gratitude is such a wonderful attitude, and your blog captures your gratitude in a wonderful way!

I, too, remember Ella Mae Murphy. Though I never had her as a teacher, I remember her love of life and her affirmative, enthusiastic approach. Definitely a model for a happy life! Blessings to you and your family...

Gene Kraybill
Mansfield, PA

SPSman said...

Hello cousin Donna,

Gratitude is such a wonderful attitude, and your blog captures your gratitude in a wonderful way!

I, too, remember Ella Mae Murphy. Though I never had her as a teacher, I remember her love of life and her affirmative, enthusiastic approach. Definitely a model for a happy life! Blessings to you and your family...

Gene Kraybill
Mansfield, PA

deborah said...

GORGEOUS.. absolutely GORGEOUS!!