Tuesday, May 6, 2008

SURGERY TOMORROW

I have to be at the hospital at 10AM in the morning. I am to have surgery at 12 noon. I am told the hospital runs a bit behind.

Today we went to a joint education class. I was so impressed with the nurse from the floor who told us what to expect, the physical therapy team and our case managers. They told us so much that I wondered. The time from the pre-op to the room should be around 4 hours. The stay is 3-5 days depending on how we do. It sounded like the 5th day is often because a patient has a series of steps they must go up at any given time. I have no steps from the time I am out of the car to the apartment so that is good. I will have physical therapy here at the house for 3 weeks. They seem to think the massage therapy I get will help me with the weak muscles. Remember I have not been able to bend that knee for over 2 years.

This morning I was in a panic and anxious mode but since the meeting I am feeling all will be well. Piedmont Hospital is great and the infection rate is less than 1%. That is good. John felt so good about it all to and that calmed me down. I ask you pray for me to be able to handle the surgery in several ways; first that my lungs will do OK as we are in a bad allergy season and it bothers me. Second that there is no infection. Thirdly that I do not get so sick because on the anesthesia they give. This has been a problem for me and last that the blood clots will not be an issue. I want to bite my upper lip and do what I have to do so I can get home.

All three of our kids will be with John tomorrow and I am thankful for that.

I will do better at keeping in touch and allowing you on this whole journey. One thing I am sure of is the Lord will be with me each step of the way. He is what gives me peace. I am so thankful I have this promise from Him.

No comments: