Tuesday, February 12, 2008

OUR MEAL LAST NIGHT

I thought I would share a few recipes with you tonight.
Yesterday I wanted to make CHICKEN CORDON BLEU. I looked at many different recipes and here is how I did it.
This serves 4

CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
4 chicken skinless chicken breasts
4 slices Swiss or Provolone cheese (Pepper Jack adds a lot)
4 pieces Canadian bacon
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup seasoned flour (mix salt & white pepper in the flour}
about a cup of Panko crumbs

Preheat oven to 350.
Pound the chicken breasts. I like to put them between waxed paper to beat.
Take one breast and add slice of cheese on top and piece of Canadian bacon on top of that. Depending on the width you may have to cut the slices in half. Roll it tight. Do the same with the rest. At this point I put them in the freezer until they were firm. (I watched a chef I worked with some times do this but I do not always have the time to do it.)
I than rolled them in flour, the egg and than the panko crumbs. I placed them in a baking dish sprayed with Pam. Melt some butter and drizzle on top.
Bake them for 30 to 40 minutes.

I made this sauce and served them with it.

1- teaspoon paprika 6- tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon minced ginger½- cup dry white wine 1- teaspoon chicken bouillon granules 1- tablespoon cornstarch 1 -cup heavy whipping cream

I melted the butter in a small skillet and added the minced garlic and ginger and cooked them a bit and than added the wine and chicken bullion cube, paprika and cornstarch and mixed it good. The heat was on low and I added the whipping cream and reduced it.
***************************
Variations:
You could buy thin cut chicken cutlets
You can use ham.
Spinach or fresh basil is good between the cheese and meat.
For the sauce you can use cream of mushroom soup + ½ cup of sour cream and season as you like.

I served it with Loaded Mashed Potatoes and a salad and Nana's rolls.
For the loaded mashed potatoes I made them like I would and added shredded cheese, bacon and sour cream.
****************
ANGEL BISCUITS
3 packages dry yeast
4 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup warm water
5 cups self rising flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups buttermilk

Dissolve yeast in warm water.Combine flour,salt,sugar and cut shortening into this.Mix in flour,milk and yeast.Knead to elastic. Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.Nana brushed melted butter on each one.Place in greased baking sheet.sometimes we allowed them to rise about 1 hour and than baked.Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes.Dough may be stored for up to a week,covered.
***************************

No comments: