Wednesday, February 6, 2008

GRANDMA"S CHINA and One Strange recipe


This is another treasure mom gave me. It is grandma's china. I faintly remember when she got this as a child. I knew one thing for sure.....when it came out it was for a special meal and I best handle it with care as I helped set the table. I really can't remember her fussing at me to be careful because Grandma taught by example. She treasured what she had and always took care of it. I was thinking about how beautiful it looked with a pink tablecloth under it and also she used a blue one too. It makes a beautiful table. I think I will use it when I make our special Valentine's meal.
The crystal goblets and sherbert dishes on the plate were Wedding gifts from my parents wedding and that will be 65 years ago the end of this month. The silver is also a wedding gift from grandma and grandpa. Mom also took the best care of what she had.
I was thinking about all the wonderful meals I ate from this china.....Thanksgiving with a huge turkey and stuffing, sweet potatoes, vegetables, pies, always started with fruit salad and crackers......or Easter with ham, red beet eggs, golden glow salad, homemade puddings and cake.
Than there was her favorite meal and yes, you are reading this right....stuffed pig stomach.....Some call it "Dutch Goose" and I guess that sounds better. Here is the recipe just for fun.
ROASTED PIG'S STOMACH or DUTCH GOOSE:
1 pig stomach1
1/2 pound ground sausage
1 quart diced potatoes,raw
1 onion,chopped fine
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper

Remove the inner linning of the stomach and discard. Wash stomach well and than soak in salt water several hours. Drain and fill stomach with stuffing. Sew securely.

Use either recipe for filling:
Filling One: Make a filling of raw diced potatoes, chopped onion and shredded cabbage. Add seasoning and mix well.

Filling Two: Make a bread filling by browning diced onion and bread crumbs in butter. Mix with egg,fresh chopped parsley and some milk. Stir in diced potatoes and sausage. Mix throughly.
Place stuffed stomach in a large roasting pan and bake at 350 for 3 hours. Serve with gravy made by adding flour and water to drippings in roasting pan.

Here are a few of Grandma's secrets....she added poultry seasoning to the ingredients under the pig's stomach. She would par boil the potatoes in water that she added saffron to. What a wonderful addition.

I know this sound awful but it indeed is wonderful It smelled wonderful and was so good and crispy. The inside stuffing was so good and full of flavor. It is a very wonderful memory for me. I helped her cook it but never made it on my own.....imagine asking a butcher for a pigs stomach....I think they would call the men in white coats.....
Yes, this china is very special to me.......My mom was given it by grandma and I will take care of it and pass it on to my children.

2 comments:

Destination...Gloryland! said...

The china is beautiful and I'm sure it will be a treasured possession for generations.

I've heard of this recipe and that it is very good. I'm not sue if I could bring myself to eat it though. Of course, if I was hungry enough...

Amy J said...

I know you're a great cook, but I think I won't be trying out that recipe! Hee hee!! I have some recipes for squirrel and some for kangaroo. :) Haven't tried them though, and don't plan to. One can only be so adventurous in life!