Friday, January 18, 2008



Have you ever simply missed where you grew up and the family that was there?

Today I miss this farm and my Grandma. They lived in this farm for many years and than when Grandpa built a home across from this lane my Uncle and Aunt took over the farm. When my cousin married he and his wife took over the farm and still live there. So it sure has been a family treasure.

You can see the white shed attached toward the garage....that is where we always went in....It was the wood shed and you would walk up 2 steps and into what was at one time the kitchen. It had an open hearth and had a wood cook stove there. Than into the main kitchen....and believe me there was a wonderful smell waiting to greet you.......I remember the smell of freshly baked bread or cookies.......Something was always cooking at Grandma's!

Grandpa had 2 dairy farms but he never wanted grandma to have to work in the barn. The house was her domain and the garden. She was a master at both. She would start her day early and prepare breakfast.....sometimes for a hired man too....a big breakfast. I loved waking up at her house with the smells of a big breakfast coming up the stairs. Anytime we ate with her was a celebration....

One thing Grandma always did was find the time to read her Bible and pray everyday. She believed what she read from the Bible and if God said it than that settled it and that is what she did. She was a praying woman that would roll up her sleeves to go and help anyone in need. I think that is what a real woman of God should do and her example has made me always want to do the same. She was a real mentor for me and if I had a question she took the time to find the answer. If it was one she needed to think about she would assure you she was going to ask the Heavenly Father and His answer would be the right one. She loved to read but she kept a journal and if she read a book that took her say 12 hours in all than she made sure she had spent 12 hours in the Bible before she picked up another book.......you see she was the most balanced woman I ever met and I think this was the key. How I miss her! Understand as a kid and teen I did not always agree with her but the older I get the wiser she becomes to me.

Today I am going to share her waffle recipe with you all. We love having chipped beef gravy on them and sometimes on a Sat. night we may have waffles with creamed chicken on them. Both are hard to beat! In addition she would fry a pound of bacon and some homemade sausage patties.

Waffles

3 cups flour

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups milk

1/2 cup butter

4 egg yolks (beat the egg whites and add to mixture after you have stirred it good) Mix the dry ingredients and than add the milk and eggs and the butter at the end.

This is good when served with syrup, chipped beef gravy or creamed chicken.

**********************

The only thing I add to her recipe is Worcestershire Sauce. Grandma used milk from the cows they milked and it had the cream in it. If I want this to taste just like Grandma's I use half and half.

Chipped Beef Gravy

4 tbsp. butter

1 pkg. dried chipped beef (dried beef in jar or package)

4 tbsp. flour

2 -1/2 c. milk

melt butter and break up dried beef and brown. Sprinkle with flour and brown a bit slowly add milk and simmer....serve over above waffles or toast

*********************************

I add 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning to this. I also like to cook 1/4 cup diced celery and 1/4 cup diced onions in the butter and than go from there. Chopped mushrooms are a nice addition and I always had a good dash of Pete's Hot Sauce.

Creamed Chicken

1/4 c. butter

1/4 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

2 c. milk

2 c. cut up cooked chicken or turkey

melt butter and stir in flour....slowly add milk and than season.add cooked chicken and simmer until thick.....serve over waffles or toast.

No comments: